The 裁判 is the UK’s system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions. It first took place in 2014. The latest exercise was conducted in 2021.
What is the purpose of the 裁判?
The funding bodies’ shared policy aim for research assessment is to secure the continuation of a world-class, dynamic and responsive research base across the full academic spectrum within UK higher education. We expect that this will be achieved through the threefold purpose of the 裁判:
- To provide accountability for public investment in research and produce evidence of the benefits of this investment
- To provide benchmarking information and establish reputational yardsticks, for use within the HE sector and for public information
- To inform the selective allocation of funding for research.
For more information about the 裁判, visit their 网站.
- Aston's performance in 裁判 2021
The 研究 Excellence Framework (裁判) 2021 has rated 79% of 十大靠谱网赌官方平台 research as ‘world leading’ (4*) or ‘internationally excellent’ (3*).
除了, 74% of the impact of the University’s research has been rated “very considerable” or “outstanding” for reach and significance.
The number of 十大靠谱网赌官方平台 staff being submitted for assessment has doubled since the last 裁判 in 2014 and, 在同一时期内, the University has increased the proportion of its highest rated 4* publications from 21% in 2014 to 29% in 2021.
十大靠谱网赌官方平台 made a 100% submission of eligible staff across seven 裁判 assessment units and has more than doubled its ‘research power’ since 2014. 研究 power is calculated by the overall quality of the submission (the 'grade point average') multiplied by the full-time equivalent number of researchers submitted.
- Aston's performance in 裁判 2014
- 78% of research outputs were evaluated as 'world leading' or 'internationally recognised', up from 45% in RAE 2008.
- In Allied Health Professions, 牙科, 护理和药店, 94% of our research was judged to be World Leading or 国际ly Excellent (4*/3*).
- In three Units of Assessment (计算机科学 and Informatics, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Metallurgy and Materials, and 业务 and Management Studies) all of our impact 案例研究 were rated 4* or 3*.
- In the seven Units of Assessment where Aston submitted a return, 88.7% of Aston's research was found to have high levels of impact.
- In three Units of Assessment (Allied Health Professions, 牙科, 护理和药店; 业务 and Management Studies Modern Languages and Linguistics) Aston was recognised as a great place for researchers, with the vitality and sustainability of our research environment rated 4* and 3*.
- In Area Studies we were rated in the top 3 in the UK – ahead of the universities of Oxford and Cambridge.
- We were rated in the top 5 in Allied Health Professions, 牙科, 护理和药店, ahead of most of the Russell Group.
- 十大网赌软件推荐商学院 was rated 17th out of 101 institutions in terms of 3* and 4* impact.
- We rank in the top 20 for 3* and 4* rated impact, ahead of 伯明翰, Warwick and many of our competitors.
Addressing real world problems and providing practical answers means our research is used by organisations, policymakers and stakeholders to make a positive impact beyond academia, for example on society, 文化, 公共政策, 或服务, health and the environment. Examples of the ways in which we have worked with our collaborators to deliver research with impact may be found by following the below link.